Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ahhhhh

So, there have been many gin and tonics drank (I know, it's not beer, but that's what I started with, I swear), and I had another post all ready to go, but instead this is what you get.

So I just came from a bar, I went out with my friend Chuck from New York and his new roommate, Axel. We went to sushi, which was lovely, and then to a bar in Mitte. We had many drinks and fabulous conversation with people that A) loved my shoes (that's right bitches), and B) knew more about American and world politics than 99% of the American populace.

On the first account; buy your footie shoes now people, they are the wave of the future, people love them. That's all I have to say.

On the second account; the DJ at this bar we went to was a 58 year old, dreadlocked, bearded, fantastic black man who lived in New York in the 70's and has lived in Berlin since the 80's. He has an East Berlin wife and 3 daughters, one an oceanographer, one is 12 and likes to play the violin, and I can't remember about the third, which I imagine is interested in quantum physics. He and I got into a conversation about any number of things, but it mostly revolved around wage inequity in America, "what the hell is up with this damn 'Tea Party' thing??" and the choice we all have between sanity and insanity. I will not recount the details here, I am more than happy to recount them in person, they are all near and dear to my heart, but I will say this; in the last 10 years of my life I have rarely had this in depth, this intense, or this well informed conversation. Whatever doubts I may have had that this was a crazy idea to move to Berlin in the last few days, as I'm struggling to find a place to live and a job to make money, they are dispelled as of tonight.

I am in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment